The exhibiting companies cover 50 activities in the industry, making WNE the key reference event for the civil nuclear industry. Over three days in Paris, attendees connected with both the major French and international industry leaders, but also were introduced to innovative scaleups and startups via WNE’s 2023 Startup Program which aimed to foster dynamic and sustainable developments within the global civil nuclear ecosystem. Attendees also had access to endless networking opportunities and interesting keynote talks as well as in-depth panel discussions from industry experts representing the entire sector.
The nuclear industry is gaining momentum
Last year, the French government committed €1bn as part of its France 2030 plan to support nuclear projects and startups developing small nuclear reactor technology.
According to Chris O’Brien, the French government “wants startups to address the legacy issues that have soured many Europeans on nuclear power by reducing the volumes and radioactivity of waste, increasing the ability to recycle nuclear material, enhancing safety and security, and developing financing models for more rapid deployment.”
“Renewable energy is a solution, but we also need energy that is continuouslySimon Belka, Renaissance Fusion’s head of marketing and public affairs
available and can adapt to demand. Fusion makes this possible.
That’s why fusion has been dubbed the Holy Grail of energy.”
Our team had the honor of helping to redesign and launch WNE’s 2023 Startup Program which aimed at supporting entrepreneurs from the civil nuclear sector by offering them visibility and a unique business experience during WNE 2023 in Paris.
20 startups were selected & got to benefit from:
- A mentoring program during WNE 2023 in Paris to help them fine-tune their projects, connect with partners and gain visibility within the global nuclear community and the media. Curated meetings for these startups were organized throughout the three days with industry leaders, experts, investors and entrepreneurs.
- A booth within the Startup Village at the heart of the venue.
- The opportunity to win the “Coup de Coeur” people’s choice prize awarded after an online vote.
- Amiral Technologies – their product is DiagFit – a full-stack blind failure prediction software for instrumented equipment. It combines their own research-generated Machine Learning technologies with intelligent automation.
- Ask for the moon – is an AI-based innovative knowledge management solution for leading companies in the nuclear and energy sectors.
- BLUE CAPSULE – is a modular and compact nuclear powered solution aiming at decarbonizing the industrial and chemical sectors currently relying on fossil fuels.
- BROLZ – is designing an App & SaaS for Nuclear Power Plants to solve issues that can’t be solved by the CMMS.
- Capsa Solutions – brings a new approach to waste container design for waste disposal of intermediate and low level waste.
- Dual Fluid – is creating an entirely new fission technology that provides emission-free electricity, cuts today’s energy costs in half, and burns nuclear waste.
- FASTPOINT – meets the expectations of manufacturers and site managers with high co-activity by offering integrated active safety solutions, which make it possible to detect risky situations and prevent accidents.
- HEXANA – The proposition of an innovative small sodium fast reactor.
- iUMTEK – develops efficient chemical analysers for real-time in-situ nuclear and industrial uses and more specifically LiBS (Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy) elementary instruments.
- Jimmy Energy – offers nuclear fission heat that is both low-cost and carbon-free.
- KALMAN Inc – utilizes robots to provide remote accessibility and enable inspections and various specialized tasks.
- Kärnfull Group – provides better energy for Sweden, working towards a brighter electricity future with their 100% nuclear electricity at an hourly price and development of new nuclear energy.
- NDB INC – is an innovative energy generator and storage that redefines and revolutionizes the battery as we know it. ** UPDATE** On January 18, 2024, NDB Inc. announced a partnership with Airbus Defence and Space SAS, marking a step forward in aerospace technology.
- Renaissance Fusion – demonstrates fusion electricity and start commercialization of fusion modules. By developing and commercializing the core fusion enabling technologies ourselves, they will be one of the first companies to offer a proven fusion plant on the market.
- Sarcomere Dynamics Inc. – unlocks the potential to engineer near-human robotic hands that redefine industry standards. Leveraging their patent pending SMM actuator technology, they have created robotic hands that are 85% more compact and 80% lighter compared to existing options.
- Sensemore – analyzes machine health in order to predict machine malfunctions before unexpected stops occur.
- Steady Energy Oy – aims to deliver nuclear energy solutions in the form of innovative heating plants and reliable nuclear heat service.
- STELLARIA – provides the next generation of fast spectrum molten salt small modular reactors that can regenerate its fuels and multi-recycle Ex MoX fuels, fertilize thorium and natural uranium and burn actinides.
- TechnoCarbon – designs, makes and sells the first high-perfomance, low-carbon, sustainable materials.
- Thorizon – develops a promising design for a Molten Salt Reactor, with the purpose of accelerating the availability of clean energy and helping solve the climate crisis.
- Raphaele Leyendecker – Managing Director, Techstars Sustainability Paris Accelerator
- Céline Passedouet – Investment Manager, Elaia
- Jacopo Buongiorno – Professor of Nuclear Science and Engineering, MIT
- Gilles Babinet – Digital Entrepreneur, Co-President of the Conseil National du Numérique
- Stéphane Sarrade – Director of Energy Programs at CEA
- Laurence Petit – Chief Innovation Officer, CEA
- Vesselina Ranguelova – Deputy Head of Division of Nuclear Safety Technology and Regulation, OECD Nuclear Energy Agency (NEA)
- Martina Adorni – Nuclear Safety Specialist, OECD Nuclear Energy Agency
- Florence Maher – Social Scientist, OECD Nuclear Energy Agency
- Abderrahim Al Mazouzi – Expert at EDF and General Secretariat at SNETP
- Héctor Dominguis Pérez – CEO, GDES Group
- Adoracion Arnaldos Gonzalvez – Innovation and Technology Director, GDES Group
- Nathalie Collignon – Head of Innovation, Orano
- Isabelle Morlaes – MSR Project Manager, Orano
- Mathieu de Lophem – Managing Partner, Nuketech
- Valerie Floridia – Global Innovation Director, Westinghouse
- Thibaut Gain – Technical Advisor, Framatome
- Damien Heiss – Corporate Innovation Manager, Framatome
- Sophie Rouzaud – Head of Financial & Strategic Analysis, Nuclear Valley
- Bernard Salha – Director of R&D at EDF, President of the Innovation and R&D Commission of GIFEN
- Giuseppe Sangiovanni – Managing Partner, Exergon
- Sonny Vu – Founder, Alabaster
Technocarbon designs, makes and sells the first high-perfomance, low-carbon, sustainable materials.
Sarcomere Dynamics unlocked the potential to engineer near-human robotic hands that redefine industry standards. Leveraging their patent pending SMM actuator technology, they created robotic hands that are 85% more compact and 80% lighter compared to existing options.
Steady Energy is on a mission to redefine the energy landscape, drive the nuclear industry forward, and empower societies to embrace a sustainable future.
Capsa Solutions brings a new approach to waste container design for waste disposal of intermediate and low level waste.
And last but not least, here’s a list of upcoming events for anyone interested in connecting with founders or investors in the future of energy / civil nuclear projects:
- Hello Tomorrow – March 21-22, 2024 in Paris, France – This renowned event brings together deep tech startups, investors, and industry leaders focusing on science and technology innovations, including those in the energy sector.
- Clean Energy Summit – March 30, 2024 in Brussels, Belgium – Although not exclusively focused on nuclear, this summit covers a wide range of clean energy technologies and provides an opportunity to connect with leaders in the field.
- Energy Tech Summit – April 10-11, 2024 in Bilbao, Spain – This event focuses on the latest innovations in energy technology, including nuclear. It provides a platform for startups, investors, and industry leaders to connect and discuss future trends.
- International Conference on Nuclear Engineering (ICONE) – August 4-5, 2024 in Prague, Czech Republic – This conference focuses on the latest research and development in nuclear engineering, including new technologies and innovations.
4. International Conference on Nuclear Engineering (ICONE): This conference focuses on the latest research and development in nuclear engineering, including new technologies and innovations.